Lucca is a city and comune in Tuscany, in a fertile plain near the Tyrrhenian Sea. It is the capital of the Province of Lucca and it is famous for its intact Renaissance-era city walls. As you cross the walls into the city, you enter the heart of the town and what is commonly referred to as the city of one hundred churches for the large number of religious buildings which represent marvellous examples of architectural Italian styles. The walls we see today date back to the 17th century. Now, no longer used for defense, they are crowned by 4 km of green parkland, and are a lovely place to walk, cycle or stop for a picnic.
The city of Lucca is without doubt one of the richest Italian cities in history and charm. It is centrally located and well served by motorways, which makes it an ideal place to live. Here is the place where once the Florentine noble families used to spend their summers in their mansions that are still there today as evidence.
The location is strategic; in fact Lucca is one of the most attractive cities to live in due to its proximity to the most frequented destinations in Tuscany: the Tuscan coast/beaches in Versilia which is just 15 km away and Florence city which is just an 1-hour drive. Lucca is also very easily accessible, the Pisa airport is 30 minutes drive away and Florence airport is only 45 minutes.
Lucca is an extremely lively city, with many activities and events, but it also very well known for its restaurants where you go for a real culinary experience, not simply to just eat.
- One on top of all of them is Ristorante Butterfly (http://www.ristorantebutterfly.it/ristorante.php) named in honor of Giacomo Puccini’s opera. In 2008, Michelin awarded the owners’ passion with the Star and, not many know, this was also one of Steve Jobs’s favorite restaurants.
- In the city center you can also dine in the Lucca Center of Contemporary Art at the famous Michelin star restaurant “L’Imbuto” (http://www.limbuto.it/#restaurant)
- Antica Locanda di Sesto is another refined place that enhances the freshness and the quality of every ingredient used. It has an old-timey atmosphere and authentic, homemade flavours born from genuine products of the region. (http://www.anticalocandadisesto.it/en#famiglia).
- Close to Lucca, on the Coasts of Versilia, there is the most exclusive 5 Star Hotel of Versilia, near the renowned town of Forte dei Marmi: Il Bottaccio (http://bottaccio.com/en/). It is the result of an expert restoration of an 18th century mill, converted into an elegant country house, nestled at the foot of the lush green slopes of Forte dei Marmi.
- Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa offers stunning views of the valley and elegant rooms. It is a proper luxury retreat nestled in 1,500 acres of lush countryside in the Serchio Valley (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lcvbr-il-ciocco-hotel/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2).
- If you want to be right in the city center of Lucca, you have the 5 star hotel Noblesse (http://www.hotelnoblesse.it/en/hotel), in the middle of downtown, offering 13 rooms, may be considered a ‘boutique hotel’, the sophisticated atmosphere is accompanied by all of today’s modern conveniences.
- In the city Lucca you have the Golf Club Vicopelago (http://vicopelagogolflucca.org/golf/) which is the second oldest golf club in Italy.
- 30 minutes away from Lucca you will find Forte dei Marmi, a city with an amazing golf club; Versilia Golf Resort (http://www.versiliagolfresort.com/en/index.html) an exclusive golf resort immersed in the heart of Versilia, set between the mountains and the sea, with a challenging and varied golf course.
- Lucca Comics & Games – On the last weekend of October and is considered one of the most important events dedicated to comics, cartoons, games, video games in all Europe. http://www.luccacomicsandgames.com/it/lcg/home
- Lucca Summer Festival – takes annually place in July welcomes some of the most popular , trendy and renowned musicians, around the world. http://www.summer-festival.com
- Winter Festival – usually takes place from October to December with a wide choice of concerts held in the Teatro del Giglio. teatrodelgiglio.it/it/stagione-2015-16/wintersummer-festival/